Situated at Fanari on the north-western tip of the island of Mykonos, the Armenistis Lighthouse was built in 1891 and remains fully functional to this day. Standing as a tribute to the maritime history of the island, the lighthouse overlooks the stretch of water between Mykonos and the island of Tinos, offering spectacular views of the surrounding areas.
When the British steamship Volta sank off the north coast of the island in 1887, with eleven people losing their lives, the decision was made to build a lighthouse on this strategic spot to try and prevent this type of tragedy from occuring again. By 1891 the nineteen meter tall lighthouse was fully functional, with the machinery so advanced for its time that the French company that designed it won an award at the International Exhibition held in Paris. In 1983, electrical equipment replaced the original machinery which is now on display at the Aegean Maritime Museum in Mykonos Town.
Contact us to arrange your ATV, buggy or bike rental, then travel along the scenic north coast road to the Armenistis Lighthouse and enjoy a slice of the island's history.